Helen of Troy
is hiring a Sr. Product Development Engineer
for our office in El Paso, TX.What You'll Be Doing:
The Sr. Product Development Engineer is a hybrid position combining Project Engineering and Design Engineering skills. The primary responsibility is to deliver innovative electromechanical consumer products and bring them from initial concept through to production. This position leads in cross-functional New Product Development core teams and works closely with Industrial Designers and Product Marketing to understand the market needs and deliver market leading product designs that balance costs, schedule, performance and reliability.
The Sr. Product Development Engineer will write product design specifications that will define the design, performance, quality, safety and reliability requirements of the product. Following our New Product Development \"tollgate\" process, the Sr. Product Development Engineer will be accountable for managing the OEM's through the detail design, testing and delivery process to ensure products meet all internal requirements.
Sr. Product Development Engineer Key Responsibilities:Project Engineering
- Interpret feedback from product marketing and consumer research to develop a clear design specification that will be used to define the detailed design and intent of the product.
- Work with APO (Asia Pacific Organization) team to manage the OEM's through the detailed design, evaluation, pilot builds, reliability testing, agency testing and product launch.
- In conjunction with Quality team, supports DFMEA and Safety reviews to identify and design out or mitigate causes of failure.
- In conjunction with compliance team, support all compliance testing efforts and ensure timely results
- Work with the legal team to ensure all products follow the patent review and clearance process.
- Apply engineering practices based on test and theory to provide design direction that meets all project requirements including but not limited to reliability, cost, performance and schedule.
- Organize and facilitate technical product design reviews and maintain issue/action item lists.
- Develop Value Analysis/Cost Analysis and quality improvements opportunities, prioritize and then develop a plan for implementation.
- Develop and maintain comprehensive schedule to deliver projects on-time and on budget.
- Manage overseas resources to meet all cost, schedule, reliability, performance, and agency requirements defined in the PPS (Project Proposal Snapshot), Product Charter, and other product specifications.
- Work with Engineering Director to report project status to management team on regular basis.
- Following the NPD Process, facilitate regular team meetings to maintain forward progress and drive cross functional tasks associated with the development of all aspects of the project from product packaging to components.
Requirements For Consideration:
- Use Creo (Pro-E) software along with prototyping skills to coordinate the pre-development concept phase of the project.
- Create breadboard models, refine proof of concept prototypes and complete assembly layouts.
- Test and troubleshoot in the lab with unique proof of concept testing and standardized test methods
- Team with Industrial Design and Marketing Team to deliver products that maintain cosmetic intent while meeting all functional requirements.
- Study competitive products to benchmark against new product designs
- Other Duties as assigned
- BSME or BSMET required or equivalent work experience commensurate to degree.
- Minimum 7 years of experience leading projects in a cross functional, mass marketed, consumer appliance New Product Development environment.
- Experience using Pro-Engineer (Creo) to design consumer appliances.
- Hands on fabrication and prototyping skills.
- Basic understanding of mold flow simulation.
- Solid understanding of plastic injection molding and consumer appliance manufacturing processes.
- Strong background in electromechanical product design and consumer product testing required.
- Consumer appliance experience with UL, ETL, CSA, and European compliance standards.
- Solid experience reading, understanding, and working with intellectual property matters.
- Strong leadership and project management skills, able to effectively direct the work of others.
- Strong business acumen with the ability to adapt to changing business needs.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Experience in directing an overseas design/engineering team.
- Understanding of DFMEA principals with experience identifying and resolving potential failures.
- Experience researching and benchmarking competitive product performance and features.
- Experience with product and feature based cost analysis, and estimation.
- Demonstrated strong ability to convey technical concepts effectively through both written and verbal communication.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, MS Project).
- Working knowledge of FEA, CFD, DOE, and 6 sigma methodology a plus.
- Experience with Agile PLM software a plus.
- Creative yet practical in problem solving with strong mechanical aptitude.
- Positive approach; strong team player; strong work ethic; high integrity; sense of urgency; self-motivation and driven for results.
- Strong ability to mentor and develop internal technical resources.
- International and domestic travel required up to 20%.
- Requires a flexible work schedule with the ability to participate in evening conference calls.
- Applicants must be authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis.
For more information about Helen of Troy, click here.
You can also find us on LinkedIn, Glassdoor, Facebook, and Twitter.Helen of Troy is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status.
If you, as one of our employees or as an applicant for employment, have any questions about our Affirmative Action Plan, please contact Human Resources during regular business hours.
If you are an individual with a disability and would like to request a reasonable accommodation as part of the employment selection process, please contact Human Resources at .
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required of personnel so classified. Management retains the right to add or to change duties of the position at any time.
Associated topics: assembly, autocad, brakes, chassis, fluid, msme, naval, proe, solidworks, turbine